Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Who needs takeout....

Hello all!!!! So this is my third recipe for the blog and this one was pretty cool. Now, anybody who knows me knows that my favorite ethnic food is Chinese!! I could eat Chicken Lo Mein from China Fun here in Tuscaloosa EVERY DAY...that is, if it wouldn't cause me to break out in acne and blow up to the size of a barn. So when I saw this meal on "30 Minute Meals" I had to try it. True to form, Rachael has delivered one heck of an Asian meal...

On the menu tonight was "Orange-Sesame Pork Chops with Teriyaki  Lo Mein Noodles". First off, this might be one of the easiest meals I've made. Prep and all the recipe printed off the web said 40 minutes and I actually finished in exactly 40 minutes!! Who's getting good in the kitchen?!?! I AM!!

First thing I did was boil the Lo Mein noodles. Now the recipe actually called for whole-wheat spaghetti noodles, but when I found the Lo Mein noodles in Publix I thought "well it's an Asian meal so why not just use these?!?!" They were great!! They come in 8oz boxes and so I bought 2 boxes to equal a pound. This was a mistake. I ended up with lots of extra noodles so next time, I'll just use one box. But anyway, if you don't wanna use the Lo Mein noodles by all means stick with the whole-wheat spaghetti.

Next thing was the chops. Couldn't be simpler!! All you do is season them with salt and pepper, put them in the skillet and cook. When they are done, you set them aside and in the pan with the drippings, you add the orange marmalade, teriyaki sauce and water. Bring that to a boil and let it combine for a minute. Add the sesame oil and then pour it over the chops and that's it! See I told ya it couldn't be simpler!!

While the chops are cooking you add a few tablespoons of oil to a skillet and let it get hot. Add your scallions and edemame. Cook it for a couple minutes and then add your noodles. Add the remaining Teriyaki sauce and let it go for a minute and then you're ready!!!

This meal really was a super simple and quick meal. This meal is an example of why I am drawn to Rachael Ray and her cooking. Like most of us, she's a working person. Anyone that works can tell you when you get home, you don't wanna slave in a kitchen for hours and not eat till 10:00. With these meals you can get in the kitchen and get dinner done quickly. This one was not only quick and easy but had great taste. The smell of the orange-sesame glaze and the taste of the teriyaki noodles really brought to mind Chinese take-out. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did. Check out the pics below and as always, the recipe follows. Might be a few weeks before the next one is posted. More than likely, I won't be cooking again till we move but rest assured, I will be back. See y'all soon and remember Rachael's motto, "You've always got time to make a fantastic meal". Until next time....

























"Orange-Sesame Pork Chops with Teriyaki Lo Mein Noodles"

1 Lb. whole-wheat or whole-grain spaghetti (Can subsititue 8 oz. Lo Mein noodles)
5 Tbs. vegetable or light oil
5 Boneless pork loin chops 1½ inch thick
3 Tbs. orange marmalade
6 Tbs. teriyaki sauce
1 Tsp. sesame oil
1 Bunch scallions, thinly sliced on an angle
1 C. shelled, frozen edamame
1 Tbs. black sesame seeds or toasted sesame seeds, optional
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta, and cook pasta to al denté.

While pasta cooks, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chops with salt and pepper and cook 6 minutes on the first side, 4 - 5 on the second.
Remove chops to a plate and reserve, cover with foil. Add 3 tablespoons orange marmalade, a couple tablespoons teriyaki sauce and ¼ cup of water to the pan, bring the sauce to a bubble and combine 1 minute, stir in sesame oil remove from heat.

While the chops cook, heat a second skillet with 3 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Stir-fry the scallions and edamame a couple of minutes. Drain pasta and toss with scallions and edamame and remaining teriyaki sauce, about ¼ cup. Sprinkle noodles with sesame seeds, if desired.
Slice pork or leave chops whole and top with orange-sesame glaze. Serve teriyaki noodles along side.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds Great and will be on my agenda soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete